Thursday, May 27, 2010

How Books In the Home Boost a Child's Education

How Books In the Home Boost a Child's Education

Inspired by a recent article on child literacy and books, I have written an article on the effect of having books in the house on a child's education. What many of us take for granted is reading, being able to read properly and fluently, and the availability of books. I am sure many people never even think about how they learned to read; I am sure that for many people, including myself, it seemed that you just 'knew' how to read. How many people can remember growing up with books and more books and still more books in the house. I remember shelves and shelves of books, many of those beloved old friends I still have with me. Oh, I can't toss them out, even though the spines are broken and the pages more than a little dog-eared. My parents didn't know it at the time, but having so many books in the house is possibly the reason I went onto further and higher education, racking up an impressive number of degrees at university. Maybe that's the reason I became a writer? Whatever the reasons, books remain an integral part of boosting a child's chance of further study. So don't be frugal when it comes to the printed word. If you have kids, splash out and get them all the books their hearts desire!

2 comments:

Becky Fyfe said...

My house is full of books. I buy books all of the time, and my kids have picked up on my love for reading. We have books spilling off the bookcase shelves and stacked on every flat surface in the house. We even have some in the hazardous position of sitting on the stairway steps (in our attempts at keeping them out of my 1 year old's reach).

Fiona Ingram said...

Your house sounds like my house...